At times it can feel like we are going through weather whiplash as temperatures drop close to freezing one week and then spike back up into the high 60s the next. While our climate is still making up its mind, however, we want to make sure that your home (and especially your heater) are ready for whatever the weather throws at you.
With the tips below and the professional services we offer at Air Comfort Solutions, you can rest easy knowing your home will stay cozy this winter season. Reach out to us ASAP if your heater needs a helping hand.
5 Tips to Help Prepare Your Home for Cold Weather
No one likes being caught in a cold home while they try to find out why they can’t keep warm. We know there are those of you out there with eternally icy toes, but our tips are far more helpful than encouraging you to invest in a good pair of slippers. Here are five ways to ensure your home is ready to keep the cold outside and maintain a cozy indoor environment.
- Check doors and windows for air leaks. Leaks aren’t just a problem when they involve plumbing. Air leaks can be an issue because they let unfiltered, cold air in from outside your home, making things harder on your heater and less comfortable for you. Check the seals around your doors and windows to see if you feel a draft. If you do, invest in caulking or weather-stripping to resolve the issue.
- If you have ducts, make sure they are clean and whole. Do you have a ducted heating system? If so, make sure it is in good condition. Do a brief test run of your system and see if there is noticeable dust exiting the vents or if the airflow from one or more vents is weak. If you notice issues like these, reach out for air duct testing and other services to resolve the issue.
- Check on and change or clean your air filter. The air filter that comes with your heating system is meant to keep dirt, dust, and other debris out of the interior of the unit. This prevents airborne contaminants from wreaking havoc on the well-being of your heater. If you haven’t checked your filter in a few months, make sure to knock that out now. A dirty filter can create bigger problems than you might realize.
- Take a look at your fireplace. If you have a fireplace in your home, whether it is gas-powered or wood-burning, now is a good time to give it a quick check. Test the damper to make sure it opens and closes without trouble and keep your eyes peeled for any dirty build-up in your chimney or fireplace. Have a professional do a check on the fireplace and address any possible issues that might mess with your home safety.
- Schedule your heater services ASAP. The best way to make sure your home will stay warm this winter is to schedule heater services in Oklahoma City with a professional team like ours. We can perform maintenance, repairs, and more to ensure your heater is ready for whatever the weather throws at it.
Make the winning call and schedule your heater maintenance or repairs with Air Comfort Solutions today.